Friday, June 13, 2008

more historical perspectives

Human relations and human resources are appealing perspectives because of their focus on the human aspects of organization. Lloydentoigen blogs, "I work harder, better and faster when I feel respected and feel like my supervisor/boss/professor has earned my respect instead of demanding it." JMcAvoy echoed these sentiments, stressing the importance of managers letting employees know they're doing good work. Ideally, this type of positive, respectful communication climate is what should be cultivated in all organizations. When applied ethically, human resources in particular should create such a respectful workplace. Human relations arose out of the lack of humanity embedded in the classical approaches. Athina of Greece provides us with a clever bureaucracy cartoon underscoring that point. Kcee reminds us that the idea of bureaucracy isn't bad, but how it's implemented and who does the implementing.

Not much more time to blog this week--Week 2 ends at midnight tomorrow, so keep on writing! I'll be busy reading all your blogs--entries and comments-- tomorrow and Sunday, so might not have a chance to blog myself. But I will be online.

--Professor Cyborg

No comments: