Monday, June 8, 2009

organizations as systems

Although systems theory has its drawbacks (such as dehumanizing organizational members and communication is equated with information), it provides an important way of thinking about organizations. For example, recognizing that SJSU is part of a larger system--the California State University--helps you make sense of SJSU's bureaucracy. As an employee of SJSU and the CSU, I'm an employee of the State of California, so my checks come from Sacramento rather than SJSU.

Because SJSU is part of the CSU, that impacts the programs each campus might offer. For example, if the Communication Studies Department wanted to change it's focus to new media studies, the faculty would need to consider not only what's offered by other departments at SJSU, but also other communication departments in the CSU.

Consider how the organizations you're a part of are systems and the ways in which systems theory helps explain why those organizations function as they do.

~ Professor Cyborg


1 comment:

GSackman8 said...

I am also part of an organization within a system. I work for the Ice Center of Cupertino, which is a member of two organizations (I.S.I.- International Skating Institute & USA Hockey). In order to teach/coach ice hockey I must be certified as a coach through USA Hockey. I have to pay a fee (tax-deductable) to USA Hockey in order to be a certified coach/instructor. I also have to take a USA Hockey coaching clinic for the level at which I would like to coach. I am currently a level 3 hockey coach which is 2 levels below professional (i.e. - NHL). Another example of how my job/work is an organization within a system is that I get paid through Ice Center Enterprises. This means there are more than one ice skating facilities under the name "Ice Center."